Race Report on PPS Alberton Half Marathon
Runner Willoughby Brits share his feedback on the recent PPS Alberton Half Marathon organized by the Alberton Athletics Club.
- Willoughby’s half marathon PB/PR: 1:26;23
- Alberton half marathon result: 1:27;12
- Coach: Lindsay Parry. Coach Parry is also the official Comrades coach and his programs can be accessed here.
This past weekend I went to the notorious and famous East Rand of Gauteng for the PPS Half Marathon. The plan was to go for a new best time. However, Ill discipline for the first few km’s as well as the impact of my recent Soweto Marathon still being felt, I fell short.
Route: Alberton is a 2 lapper. The start was a little tight and you spend the last kilometer running on thick grass. 243m elevation gain in the race which makes it about fair. ( 10m per km is, in my opinion, considered a fairly balanced route). No hectic climbs, no hectic downs. But enough to feel it and enough to make up some lost time.
Penalty note: The course was about 300m short. I’m never too sensitive about GPS watches being accurate. But when no one gets close to distance…
Water tables were well manned and with enough coke and water. My only criticism would be not enough bins for satches and cups.
Route difficulty: 5/10
- Words are the author’s own.
- A commission is earned on affiliate products sold on Amazon so that we can keep all our services free and awesome Social Media going.